Deciding to rent an apartment may be a bit challenging especially if the person is on a tight budget. This isn't only about the rent and the other bills that have to be paid monthly but also the maintenance costs should the individual decide to make a few decorative changes.
When anyone rents an apartment, the apartment owner will usually ask for a deposit and a few months rent in advance. The deposit will only be returned when the contract ends and if there is no (or little) repair needed before it can be occupied by another tenant.
Here are some cost-saving tips for decorating an apartment;
1. Should the person have any posters, a good idea is to use straight pins to prevent them from falling from the walls. If they are framed, use the smallest nail possible so that when the contract ends the holes will be easy to patch using a spackling compound.
2. If the apartment is fully furnished, the furniture should be covered to prevent it from getting dirty or stained. The apartment owner will check before allowing a renter to leave.
3. Buying a disposable rug or carpet would be better than an expensive one to protect the floor. If the carpet is soiled or stained it can be disposed of because of the small investment.
4. If the chairs in the house are covered with fabric, consider buying some machine washable cushions to prevent any damage.
5. When looking at the apartment, there is the possibility that there are cracks or holes in the walls from the previous occupant. A person can repaint or apply wallpaper only with permission from the owner. In most cases it will not be allowed and if this occurs the tenant can disguise the flaws by using posters or paintings.
Most owners who will allow repainting will specify the color which is generally an off white. The person should make sure there is sufficient paint saved for any touch up that needs to be done later.
People who want privacy should use curtains that can be hung using spring tension rods. These are both easier to assemble and disassemble than standard curtain rods.